Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Kindle: Covering a Multitude of Sins

First- a disclaimer. I have a Kindle. I use my Kindle. As a matter of fact I LOVE my Kindle. As a student I've learned first hand how convenient it can be to load tons and tons of books into one tiny, light-weight device. I'm in the process of studying for the GRE Literature Subject Test and my Kindle has saved me hundreds of dollars in both book fees AND in avoided visits to the chiropractor for post-book-lugging spine readjustments! That being said...

Read the Article Here

In his article yesterday's Slate Magazine, Mark Oppenheimer makes a hugely valid point about the social ramifications of private reading devices. When you think about it, the only books that used to be 'hidden' when you were out in public were those smutty romance novels with bare chested hairy men and half-dressed fainting maidens groping one another all over the covers. Now THOSE books are perfectly reasonable to smuggle away behind brown paper wrappers (or, if you're creative, the book jackets of high-brow literary works). The anonymity of the Kindle really does serve the same purposes... who KNOWS what the guy next to you on the train might be reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment