Monday, August 16, 2010

Somebody's Got a Case of the Mondays!

Last week flew by like you would not believe! Maybe it was because last week was my last week of summer "vacation" or maybe it was because I was woefully under-prepared for the classes I had to teach this morning.. but time definitely sped up!

Anyway- I now have the first day of classes under my belt. I'm cautiously optimistic about my students- even though when I asked them to write down their concerns about the semester almost ALL of them said some version of "I'm not a writer. I'm not creative or a deep thinker." I'm prepared for the rest of my teaching responsibilities for the week and ready to focus on MY reading!

So... I'm participating in this weeks "It's Monday: What are you Reading" event hosted by bookjourney. I actually found this useful because it made me acknowledge the number of books I'm reading at once... maybe I'll try NOT to start a new one until I finish a couple of the current projects.. maybe...

1. Sigmund Freud's The Uncanny- I'm not a huge fan of Freud's but this collection of essays deals with fun things like the undead and DaVinci's neuroticisms... so it's actually been an enjoyable read so far

2. Ben Okri's The Famished Road- I'm working my way through contemporary West African fiction for my comps and Okri's been one of my favorite finds. Famished Road won the Booker Prize in 1991 but somehow or another I've missed it until now!

3. Steve Stern's The Frozen Rabbi- ehh, it's gotten a lot of hype and I suppose some of it is deserved, but I'm struggling to really get into it!

4. Sherman Alexie's Reservation Blues- I love him. He could write just about anything and I'd sing praises

5. James Clavell's Tai-Pan- I really enjoyed Shogun but am finding this a less engaging read :(

6. Chinua Achebe's Anthills of the Savannah- Very different from Achebe's earlier work.. I'll let you know more when I get deeper into the book

7. Langston Hughes's The Big Sea Book One of Hughes's autobiography- his prose is just as much fun/moving to read as his poetry. Really enjoying this!

No comments:

Post a Comment