Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme run by The Broke and the Bookish. This Week's Episode...Top Ten Books I Can't Believe I've Never Read.  I want to point out that this is a list of books that I, myself, am shocked to admit I've never read-- my professors have their own (lengthy) list of holes in my education...



1.  The Kite Runner Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner. I've had this in my TBR pile for years now but every time I go to the shelves to pick out a new read I seem to just waltz right past this one. 

2. Slam Actually... I've never read ANYTHING by Nick Hornby. I hear such good things, but we just never seem to be in the same place at the same time.

3. The Hunger Games The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. It seems like every third person on the street is reading a Suzanne Collins book this week. I've read blurbs and reviews and the series sounds like a good time. Maybe when I get a break from 'academic reading (of Doooooooooom!)...

4. The Complete Works of Ralph Wa... The Complete Works of Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau. This book sits on my TBR pile and taunts me from across the room. It's not necessarily something that I WANT to read, but in order to consider myself a good little English scholar.. I probably ought to have read something by both of these guys! They seem to be kinda important...

5. Reading Lolita in Tehran Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi. I think I've started this book twice, but life interrupted.

6. The Time Traveler's Wife The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. 

7. Atonement Atonement by Ian McEwan.

8. A Heartbreaking Work of Stagge... A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by David Eggers. I want to read this one just for the title. Dude's got some cajones to put that one out there...

9. Do Androids Dream of Electric... Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K Dick. I got embroiled in a long conversation with a friend last week about whether or not Adam and Eve (or Frankenstein, or most of the Greek Gods for that matter) had belly buttons. If you're not born in the 'usual' way there doesn't seem to be any need for an umbilical cord and, therefore, no need for a belly button! At the end of the conversation I declared that if I ever wrote a novel about an android I would call it No-Navel Nanette. My friend then replied that Philip Dick had already written a book about this exact topic and that I should read it before wasting my time scribbling away.  

10. Water for Elephants Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.  






8 comments:

  1. Go. Read. The Hunger Games! I'm currently rereading the first two in anticipation of finally getting my own copy of Mockingjay. It's not just a hype, the books are really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try to make Labor Day Weekend a "Reading for ME" weekend-- I'll try to put Hunger Games at the top top the stack and we'll see how it works out :) I thought it was just a fad at first (Twilight-esque perhaps?) but people whose readerly opinions I really value seem to be loving it too..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of these either. I have read High Fidelity by Nick Hornby and it was fantastic. I want to read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and I love the convo that lead to your friend recommending this book by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read all of these (but, hey, before you think I'm Miss Reader, go check out my list of Books I Haven't Read) and I would not consider any of them Must Reads. I'd put all of them into the category of Nice Books to Talk About With Others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree about The Hunger Games. They are really good and they will suck you in, so they don't take too long to read! I also really liked The Time Traveler's Wife. I had to read The Kite Runner in high school. It's probably not something I would have ever read otherwise, but I'm glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll admit I haven't gotten to the Hunger Games either. I'm sure I'll like it when I do, but haven't gotten to it yet. As for your other choices, many of them I have nagging me in the back of my mind to read as well. Except for the Kite Runner. I really didn't enjoy this book and wish I hadn't wasted my time reading it. But I think I'm in the minority.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some GREAT titles on this list you need to go read. :) Obviously I'll point out The Hunger Games, which is wonderful. But The Kite Runner and Atonement are both excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always wanted to read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I love sci-fi in general, and the ideas he explores in this book are just awesome and mind-bending. I'm not sure why I haven't read it already.

    It's ok MJ, I hated The Kite Runner too.

    And I have to argue with everyone in the thread and say that The Hunger Games is just a bunch of hype. Or at least the first two books are. Maybe the third one gets better, though from the reviews I've read it doesn't seem that way.

    ReplyDelete